17 September 2010

Trip to Washington/Day at the Fair

For Zeke's first birthday I wanted to do something that would be big and fun. But the issue was trying to figure out what would be entertaining to a 1 year old and his almost 3 year old sister. When I found out that the local county fair started on Zeke's birthday I knew immediately what we were doing!
I called my cousin and she was great enough to take the day off of work and bring her daughter and niece out to visit. To make it even better, her mom/my aunt, also came out. My mom and dad also came with but had to leave early because my mom got called into work. It was great having so many family members around to help celebrate with us.
When I told Rosalee that we were going to the fair she kept asking if she could ride a horse. I was pretty sure that there weren't any but I told her we'd look. We found the horse barn, but there weren't any to ride.

But there was one to pet!

We walked around and looked at all of the animals. Rosalee would get so excited over some of them and other she could care less about. It's funny to see how much of a personality she has at times!

Next we found a play that is put on by the audience. It didn't start for a few minutes so we went to watch the children barrel racing. As soon as we walked over a girl fell and then was drug by her horse... NOT what I wanted Rosalee to see! So we hurried back to the pirate show and tried to put the scary situation from our minds. The woman asked for "the biggest kid of all" to help out in the performance and in my loudest voice possible I shouted, "OOHHH OOHHH HIM, PICK HIM!!!" while pointing at Jesse. He was such a stud to actually go through with it.

The video is about 20 minutes long, but if nothing else just watch the first minute or two so you can see Jesse's full costume and the attitude he had for the show. Rosalee still begs me to play the video over and over and she'll say, "Thank you Daddy for being a pirate." to Jesse at least 5 times while watching it.

You know me, any excuse for a family picture! I like Rosalee in the first one better so if I could crop her from that and Zeke looking at the camera from the second then we'd have a nice shot, but oh well!
Last year when Jesse worked at the fair Rosalee loved every second of it! She rode all the rides and loved them... minus the carousel. On that one she frowned and clung on for dear life. So naturally I thought she'd love the rides again this year...
WRONG!

She screamed the first few times around and then kept trying to stand up and jump off. I'm not sure what happened between last year and now but it makes me sad to see her having, what she believes to be, such an awful time.
How did Alyssa do?

Just fine.
So Jesse took her on a few more rides.

After riding some rides we went to get some food. My favorite fair food are the scones. For those Idaho/Utah people reading this let me explain what a REAL scone is! It is NOT a fried donut thing served with honey butter. It is a sweet biscuit filled with berry jelly. It is fabulous and if you haven't had one you should cry.

The smugs on my kids show the amazingness of a fair scone.
Next we walked around some more and eventually ended up at a face painting booth. We were looking for a painting one but found an airbrush one instead. No biggy right?
Wrong #2 of the day
Mariah and Alyssa went home with cute paintings on their faces. Rosalee?

She got a dot and that was freaky enough!
The day went great and I was so glad to have shared it with my extended family. Zeke had a blast and even if he doesn't remember it when he's older the look on his face will always be a reminder.

0 comments: