09 September 2010

Trip to Washington/6 year anniversary

I always sit down and intend to start updating my blog but then things happen- the kids are hungry, I need to can some beets, you know the usual things that happen around here! So for the few people that tell me they read this daily, or at least look to see if I've posted anything new, you're in luck! I have 200ish photos/videos that I uploaded today and I'm going to spend the next few days putting them on here. It is going to take me a few days to get caught up but I figure that's better than just making one large post about the past month.
For several reasons we decided to head to Washington for the first week of August. We got married in Portland, Oregon on the 6th of August and wanted to go back to Oregon for anniversary was one reason. Another reason was my dad's side of the family was having a reunion and we thought it'd be nice to attend that. The final reason was Zeke was going to turn 1 and we wanted to share that with my parents. While in Washington I decided I was officially over it was our camera. The battery would only stay charged for 10 minutes and to buy another battery would cost almost as much as a new camera. So I let Jesse pick out a new camera for our anniversary. He has ALWAYS wanted a video camera and with the kids being older and cuter I gave in. The camera has a "photo" button but I haven't figured out how to make them look higher quality. If the lighting is low at all they look as crappy as a cell phone photo. It makes me super sad so I'm going to experiment more with it.

This is the first picture taken on the new camera. After taking it I got really upset that we bought the camera because I could tell that the picture looked grainy. Jesse claims that once I mess with some settings the pictures will get better but I'm not convinced.
BUT, this is a picture of Rosalee in the train station in Tacoma, WA. My parents bought our family train tickets down to Portland for the day and as you can see, Rosalee was very excited.



Like I stated above, I was really upset with the camera so I decided to take a movie to see if those turned out any better.

Here's sweet Zekey on the train with Jesse


Here is my brother Jesse on the train. Yes my brother came with... oh yeah, UBER romantic right!?


Zeke was very excited to show off the straw wrapper. I swear the kid played with it for 20 minutes.


Rosalee LOVED the train! She was so bright eyed and excited to see everything outside the window. If you have extra time PLEASE take your kids on a train to your next destination! They don't have to wear a seat belt, they can move around the train, and they can see what is going on outside. The 2-3 hours passed rather quickly to our surprise.


I just love this kid!

See?


Oh, and him I guess. :)


Play hard, crash hard


Proof that I do in fact exist
Once we got to Portland we took a shuttle to a rental car place. My parents also helped us get a rental car so we could drive around the city and out to where the temple is. (It is the Portland temple, but it's actually in Lake Oswego. Weird, but it is what it is.)


This was the first time Zeke got to sit forward in a car and he LOVED it! He kept laughing and smiling every time he realized he could still see me.


At the store we bought Rosalee a hat to wear because we knew it'd be sunny. I like that it is PINK so we can't lose her in a crowd.
It took us longer than we had hoped to get to the temple but there was a nasty accident on the freeway. Sadly the temple was closed so we couldn't do a lot while we were there. Jesse was afraid we'd get into trouble just for walking around the construction areas so he asked a guy if we could take some pictures. All I wanted was a picture of us near one or two of the places we took pictures on our wedding day, but I let Jesse do what he felt was right. It was kind of weird to have some random guy follow us around, but I'm happy that after 6 years I finally got to go back!







Notice barefoot Rosalee? Well being the wonderful parents that we are we each thought the other person was going to grab her shoes. It wasn't until we were on the train and 30 minutes south that we realized our kid was going redneck for the day. I did manage to pack some socks for her in the diaper bag though. Mother of the year!


This is one of my favorite pictures so I wanted to go to the fountain and get some more.


Like this one of Rosalee and me


And these attempts at a family shot... Zeke was too entertained by the fountain to look at the camera and Rosalee was too busy being shy or giving me a flower.


I think this one is the best personally.



Zeke and Jesse


I have a picture of us at this spot, on our wedding day, in a frame packed away in the garage. Hopefully I can print one of these out and put it next to it.


My brother lacks photography skills as you can see he chopped my head off... BUT the main focus was the shoes. Why? Because I wore those beasts 6 years ago on my wedding day. Oh yes, I wore platform flip-flops with a wedding gown. Classy, yes?
After leaving the temple we decided to go to the mall. Yep, we're THAT cool! We wanted to go for multiple reasons- we could get Rosalee some shoes, we could get some food, and the mall has an ice skating rink. My husband loves to play hockey so I thought it'd be fun for him to go ice skating.
We got to the mall and sent my brother and his friend off. Then we bought Rosalee some really cute sandals (I like that she was spoiled on MY anniversary.) and then headed to the food court. There was a Cajun place that Jesse thought I would love. Um... it was cooked by some Asian people and had chow mien and an optional side dish... At least the chicken was good!


She would line up her food and then eat it. It was hilarious to watch!


Enjoy the food court home movie!


Zeke didn't mind that the jambalaya was really fried rice with some Tabasco


Jesse hates this picture but I couldn't leave him out!


SMOOTHIE!!!!!!!!!!!!


Proof that I do indeed eat
After lunch we went to the ice skating rink to check it out. Jesse kept saying all we were going to do was watch the people but when we got there his eyes light up like Christmas morning. So we were presented with a dilemma- How could we all go skating? I went to the shoe rental guy and asked him what the smallest size was. Kid 7. PERFECT! That is Rosalee's size and we knew that because we had JUST bought her some new shoes. Oh and those socks that I remembered to pack, but not the shoes? She could wear those with her skates! So Jesse got to take Rosalee ice skating for the first time and Zeke and I got to chill and watch it.


At times like this I am very happy we bought a video camera

After a few minutes she got the hang of the fact that she had to move/glide her feet along the ice.

Zeke was mesmerized by everyone! Especially these two teenage girls that were doing jumps and twirls.


A very happy dad and daughter moment!


Jesse skating sans the kiddo


More of Jesse skating


I debated taking this one as it would mean I have to admit we drove around in a mini-van. I know the commercials say it is the Lexus of mini-vans, and it was nice, but never again people!
After a fun day we took the train back to Washington to spend some time with my family. It wasn't quite the anniversary I was expecting, but since when does ANYTHING in my life go the way I think it will!?

2 comments:

Charlene said...

My favorite part of the whole thing was when Rosalee squealed in delight when Jesse skated backwards. So funny.

Anna said...

I ice skated on that rink when I was 10 years old. We went to Portland with my dad for a business trip. I thought it was so cool that it was in the mall. Sounds like our anniversaries. Since it is around the holidays we are always with family, and rarely do anything with just the 2 of us. Sounds like a fun trip!