14 November 2009

White and wet

I woke up this morning and the first thing I said was, "Ew. Why did it snow?" Then I looked at Rosalee who was staring out the window with bright excited eyes. She kept saying "Look Mama, snow" over and over while smashing her face against the glass. So I went against my feelings of "just stay inside and avoid it" and got Rosalee's snow pants out. It took quite awhile to get Rosalee dressed in her thermal tights, pants, shirt, snow pants, mittens, snow coat, snow boots, and hat but she didn't seem to mind. She got SO excited to go outside that she tried to follow me downstairs when I went to get my snow boots talking the whole time.
Two year old+snow pants+snow boots+stairs=

All I heard was thump, thump, "AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" I ran up the stairs to see Rosalee screaming and clutching on to Jesse. Apparently she fell and landed right on her head, poor kid. Did this stop her from wanting to go outside and play? Of course not!
The picture above was taken right after she stopped crying and it didn't look too bad. Now she has a nice goose egg, some slight bruising, and an interesting rug burn or broken blood vessel rash like mark on her skin.
So much for taking our Christmas card pictures today! Oddly the day before Rosalee got her 18 month pictures taken she fell and got a huge goose egg on the side of her forehead. I had to strategically comb her hair and advice the photographer to "avoid that side" while taking her picture. I should stop telling her that I want nice pictures of her and then maybe she'll quite getting head injuries.
But after a cup of juice and ten thousand hugs and kisses Rosalee was ready to get outside and play in the snow. (We were going to take Zeke but he decided to stay inside and nap... smart kid!)

She kept watching her feet and she was walking around in the snow.

She told me that we needed to bake some cookies because it was too cold outside.


After a few minutes Rosalee decided she really does like the snow and would sit down and start picking it up. Most of the time she ate the snow, but some of the time she'd play with it. And by that I mean toss it to Trouble or smear it in Trouble's face. Check out Mr. Alaska and his playing in the snow outfit...



After playing in the snow I decided that Rosalee was correct- we needed some cookies. So Rosalee and I made chocolate chip cookies while Jesse shoveled the sidewalk and driveway out front.

She was so excited to help me mix that she got three different spoons out of the drawer.

Rosalee LOVED stirring! I just had to make sure she kept her fingers out of the mix. "We mix with the spoon, not our fingers." (I'm pretty sure I said that at least 3 or 4 times.)

Ah, nothing like a piping hot chocolate cookie when it's below freezing outside!

2 comments:

Tyra Baird said...

Hey we had the same thing. Except ours involved biting instead of falling (2yrs olds) and Etta prefers to lick all the teaspoons and eat the flour. Strange kid. Your kids are so cute. I miss the snow we've gotten was rain. Have fun. Injuries in the christmas pic just demonstrates her talents. :)

Unknown said...

i love how rosalee is completely bundled and jesse is in shorts!