05 November 2009

Ah, Rosalee

Tomorrow my baby won't be a baby. She will be 2 and therefore a toddler. There are days when I think I'll be working on potty training, dealing with tantrums, and explaining that goldfish crackers are NOT breakfast forever. Then there are other days when I want Rosalee to stay little, to enjoy being held and read to, to get excited when I make her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and to give me an insane amount of kisses.
Here are some of Rosalee's latest conversations with us-
On Tuesday I handed her a book while I was feeding Zeke and told her to read it. She got very mad and tossed it on the floor exclaiming, "I don't know how to read!" I asked her if it made her upset that she can't read her books and she said, "I want to read Mama." So I showed her the letters and a few basic words in the book as I read it to her. Then I went back to dealing with Zeke while she flipped through the book. She started squealing with delight at one page and when I asked her what was so exciting she said, "I see it, I see it!" "What do you see?" "It is 'the', right there Mama, I see it. I know how to read now. I big girl." She's so eager to be a "big girl"... just wait until she learns about taxes!
Last night we went shopping and we decided to let Rosalee roam the toy aisle to see what she'd like for her birthday. Not too shocking, she picked out a Tinkerbell doll. We found two other Tinkerbell dolls but one was a Barbie type and I was afraid of her losing (or eating) the tiny parts. So we asked if she wanted the one she picked out (The doll is HUGE! It's almost as tall as Rosalee is.) or if she'd want a smaller, plush one to snuggle with. She looked at both and said, "I want the big Tinkerbell" and then she ran up to it and attempted to carry it down the rest of the aisle. We decided to buy it but wanted to hide it until Friday night. So Jesse told her that it had to stay at the store and then walked ahead of me. I took the doll and put it in my diaper bag. (Why no one stopped me, looked at me funny, etc. is BEYOND me!) I walked up to the front of the store and bought it and Jesse took Rosalee to the car to get buckled in. As we were backing out of the parking spot Rosalee said, "Bye Tinkerbell, I'll miss you. Maybe you can come to my birthday and see me." I honestly didn't know whether to cry or laugh. So now I'm really excited to see how she reacts when she finds out that Tinkerbell came to her birthday AND gets to live with us.
This morning Rosalee woke up screaming at 6:15 (the alarm was set to go off at 6:30) so Jesse brought her into bed with me. She INSISTED on placing her head on MY pillow and snuggling with me. A few minutes later she reached over, placed her hand on my cheek and said, "you're so pretty mommy." Then she headbutted me, made a "mwah" kiss sound, and went to sleep. I am SO lucky to be her mom!

She is very curious about everything and loves to examine things. She was looking at this movie case, talking to the pictures on it, and "reading" it to me.
If you're wondering why she's topless it is because when I asked her if she wanted me to help her get her shirt back on after lunch she said, "no thank you, I'm fine."
That's what I get for asking!


Rosalee loves her brother so much! If I take pictures of her she makes sure that get some of Zeke too. She took the last one of Zeke and I was surprised with how well it turned out!

Today we went for a walk down the road and through the high school soccer field. (Our backyard butts up against the soccer field.) Rosalee had to stop at EVERY pine cone and pick it up. She would tell me about each one too. "This the mommy pine cone" or "this a little baby pine cone". The best one- "This just a pine cone, they don't do much."
She also kept looking at all the rocks along the sidewalk so I asked her to tell me what colors she saw. So she got down on her stomach, picked one rock up at a time, and proceeded to tell me all the colors she found.
She cracks me up!

After taking her picture she told me that it was Zeke's turn. At first he tried to hide...

but eventually I found my happy little guy!

In the soccer field Rosalee was content to wander around. She'd follow the painted lines in the grass, collect more rocks and leaves, and randomly giggle. She was AMAZED by the soccer goal when we walked by it. She ran up to it and kept touching it and nodding her head while mumbling to herself. I forget how wonderful things, that are rather dull, can be to someone.
A large part of me hopes she never grows out of that phase.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Rosalee is too great! Hope it's a great birthday!

Charlene said...

I love all the pictures! She is adorable. So is Zeke, of course! :)