01 February 2010

Lesson of the day

If you ask Rosalee what she learned today she'll respond, "We don't eat paint."
That should tell you what kind of day it is at our house...
But before I get into that I'll write about last weekend. Last Friday was my sister-in-law's (Tia) 25th birthday. My other sister-in-law Jenny came up from Utah to celebrate with us. Their cousin Valerie has a birthday this week so we decided to combine the two into one. For dinner on Friday night we had Hawaiian haystacks and cake. Jenny loves to decorate cakes so she came with some fun ideas on what to do. She was brave enough to let me decorate one of the cakes and I'm surprised at how well it turned out!


Can you tell that they're purses? Jenny made two 8" cakes and then cut them in half. She frosted the two halves together and then covered them in more frosting. I made Valerie's cake and I want to use this same technique to make some more cakes. I'm thinking about making it into a face resting on the platter and then when I'm brave enough, making it into a dragon for Zeke's 1st birthday.
Later that night we sang and danced to karaoke. It made me happy to be able to dance around like a fool and sing some sweet 80s songs into the late hours of the night. Even Rosalee got into it so a great time was had by all!

On Saturday we went swimming in the morning. As you can see, Rosalee LOVES going swimming! Her new suit is still a bit big for her, but I like that it helps her float. She is getting brave about being in the water and it kind of scares me. She saw Jesse in a different part of the pool so she climbed out and went over to him. She was about to jump in (he was in the 4 foot deep area) but he yelled at her to stop. Thankfully she actually listened to him that time! But seeing how fearless she is and how good she's getting at developing swimming skills motivates me to learn how to swim. Yes, I'm almost 25 and couldn't swim to save my life in a kiddy pool! The local pool here is offering some adult swim classes in mid-February that I might sign up for.
She found the crown and had a GREAT TIME!

Zeke now likes grabbing anything he sees me holding. These are some of his self portraits. He also thinks that if I'm drinking out of a cup that he needs to take a drink too. Maybe I'll get a video of that because it is REALLY cute!
Now on to today... it started out fairly normal. Jesse woke up and got ready to substitute teach at the middle school. I woke up with a nasty headache and sore throat but the kids were still asleep so I drank some water and went back to sleep. Jesse also packed a suitcase before leaving because he's spending the night in Bozeman, Montana. He's going there for a prospective graduate student day. I'm sure I'll be writing about his quick trip in the next day or so. Then the day continued as normal as most other days. We went to WalMart to buy some toothpaste for Jesse and life got interesting. I thought I'd be a nice mom and get Rosalee some more vehicles to paint (she had SO much fun last time!) and some red paint to add to our collection. Aren't I a nice mom? While I was looking at some frozen dinners to send with Jesse I guess Rosalee picked up the bottle of paint and started playing with it. I turned back to the cart and saw her chewing on her fingers. Nothing big... until I noticed her face and fingers were red. Oh no, she bit herself! No, worse! She twisted the lid off and got paint on her fingers. Then for whatever reason in her 2 year old mind, she decided to lick/suck on her fingers. So I got to freak out and try to find the non-toxic sign on the label but there wasn't one! Luckily there wasn't a toxic, death, you'll die now sign either so I didn't have a heart attack. I quickly found an assistant manager who kindly pulled some baby wipes off the shelf and helped me clean Rosalee up. Then he took me over to customer service where a lady called the 800 number on the paint bottle. She told me that the paint isn't toxic, but I might want to call my doctor and talk with a nurse. Thankfully the manager didn't charge me for the baby wipes (Thanks nice helpful man!!!!!). At home I called the doctor's office but the nurse was out for the day. So the receptionist told me to take Rosalee to Urgent Care if I was concerned. She thought Rosalee would be fine as long as I made her drink a lot. After talking with my mother-in-law I decided to stay home and force Rosalee to drink like a camel in the desert. (Good thing I bought some raspberry lemonade at WalMart today!)
Now I'm here with my kids, sans husband, watching a movie laughing at how crazy my day can easily become!

0 comments: