21 November 2008

Not so fun noise

What is a horrible sound to wake up to at 3:30am? How about the sound of your child gagging, choking, and dry heaving? Jesse and I sprang out of bed to find Rosalee in a crawling position dry heaving in her bed. Of course she was terrified and crying but we felt like there was nothing we could do. She finally vomited all over her crib and calmed down slightly. Jesse took the messy bedding to the washer while I took Rosalee to our bed to comfort her. She kept crying and clinging to me with all her might. Just as she was relaxed and sleeping, she startled awake and started heaving again. She wanted to cling to me but I wanted her to face down so the vomit could come out. I ended up wrapping my arm under her belly and over her shoulder (like a seat belt) so she could grab my arm. As soon as she vomited on her pajamas, my arm, and my pillow she felt a lot better. Jesse being Jesse had to examine her vomit as he helped clean up. He found pieces of fruit in it so we're convinced that the fruit is the culprit. We gave her some canned oranges and pineapple last night while we were reading some books. So she either has a flu like illness or the fruit made her sick. She doesn't have a fever and we've read that citrus fruit can cause an upset stomach, diarrhea, etc. in children younger than 1 year old. Apparently her stomach didn't get the memo about being 1 now. We thought we were being good parents giving our child something soft to eat and full of vitamin c. Here's to the first, of what I can only assume will be many, things we'll do that we think are good for our children that ends up blowing up (literally at times) in our face.

6 comments:

Little Yancey Family said...

Oh poor thing! That would be horrible!

Joy Carlton said...

That doesn't sound like fun. I hope she feels better soon.

Michele said...

oh that is not fun at all. I always feel so bad for them when they are sick. They are just so innocent and cute, why do they have to feel the pain of throwing up. Well I hope she is doing better now.

Anna said...

Poor little Rosalee. I was sick with a stomach bug (or food poisoning) last week and even though I was miserable, all I could think about was how happy I was that I was sick and not Braden. I hope she starts feeling better soon. What a rough night! Doesn't it always seem to happen in the middle of the night too!

The Webber's said...

aww - so sad! It's sad sad watching them because they are so helpless and we can't do anything to make them better! Hope she is feeling better today! Brynn's had the stomach flu twice - both times were quite difficult on her and mommy! Good luck!

Michelle said...

Awww, poor Rosalee. I hope she is feeling better! And thanks for posting your comment on Jack's birth story. Like you said, it's good to know that you aren't the only one who had hard times during the post-birth. I really thought it was much worse than actual labor. Maybe not as intense, but definitely longer and because of that more painful...