03 December 2008

The last week

Here's some photos and an update of what we've been up to the last week. The first thing is Thanksgiving, which means I was busy cooking, cooking, eating, and stuffing myself. Jesse and I made dinner for our friends and some of the teenage boys from church who had family out of town. (I'm one of those people who can't stand to see someone eat a frozen meal on a holiday!) We ate dinner at the church, played basketball, dodge ball, and then watched a movie. It was a lot of fun but sadly I don't have many pictures. :( My camera will flash the low battery sign and then die after you take one more picture so I got some cooking pictures but none of us eating and playing. Our friend got some pictures but she has 3 small children so maybe I'll get them within a month or two... You'll have to excuse the EXTREME mess in our kitchen but Rosalee had the flu leading up to Thanksgiving and I had the flu coming out of Thanksgiving. So a lot of dishes were used and pretty much none were cleaned.

My mom taught me that you can never have too much stuffing! There is our 24 pound turkey filled with easily 10 pounds of stuffing. I take my holidays seriously! What the last picture doesn't show is the look on my face as I tried to put the 35ish pounds of food in the oven. I'm still not sure why I didn't ask Jesse to do it...

Jesse is the dessert maker of our family. Here is he making some chocolate cream pies. The one has peanut butter chips on it and the other is topped with whipped topping.

Apparently we have a tradition of traveling across towns with Thanksgiving food. The first picture is of Jesse taking my homemade eggnog on the subway in Moscow. We got A LOT of weird looks and even had a smelly hobo laugh at us. Well this year Jesse got to carry a VERY warm VERY heavy turkey with stuffing on his lap as I drove to the church. Even with 3 towels on his lap he said his legs were pretty warm feeling by the time we arrived. Ah, memories.
Another thing that started happening is Rosalee is trying to walk. She'll take several steps and then fall down or squat to a crawl. It's really funny to see her face because she looks scared or surprised every time she walks. It also never fails that when she walks the camera is nowhere to be found! I did catch her once... or maybe I forced her to walk, but regardless I caught it on film!

More on Rosalee... she now wants to label everything she sees, touches, eats, etc. She'll hold out a toy and I'll say, "ball" (or whatever it is) and then she tries so hard to copy what I've said. Every time she eats I'll ask her if she wants more of whatever it is. Then she'll sign "more" and then say the word. Mashed potatoes are now "tatas" and scrambled eggs are "ehs". Along with wanting to talk about her food Rosalee has now decided that she wants to feed herself. Rosalee also is doing great with potty training. She knows tells me "peepee" as she's going to the bathroom. A few times I've been able to catch her and put her on the potty so she can finish her business there. She's such a great kid!
Another development this week is we had our first snow of the season. According to the weather guy it should snow more later this week into the weekend. I'm really hoping he's wrong.
I applied for a job teaching Saturday school for gifted students at Purdue and got it! I'm going to be teaching science to 1st and 2nd graders who are at a 3rd or 4th grade level. My class is called "how does it work" and I already have TONS of ideas already.

2 comments:

Joy Carlton said...

That is so exciting that Rosalee started walking. She is growing up so quickly. Also congrats on getting the job teaching gifted students. You will do great!

Michele said...

That's great that you got a job for Saturdays. I bet that works perfect for you and Jesse.