28 October 2009

PAINFULLY honest

Rosalee doesn't lie. She doesn't understand the concept and for that I am thankful... even when it leads us to the hospital. Here's how it all came around.
Last night she was in bed, about to go to sleep, and then she started hollering that she needed to go to the bathroom. I ignored her for a few minutes and then decided that she probably really did need to use the bathroom. When Jesse got her he informed me that she pulled her earrings out and that he wanted me to look for them while he took her to the bathroom. I looked for the earrings but I could only find one back. When Jesse came in he helped me look and he found another back and one earring. Not expecting a response I said out loud, "Rosalee where is the second earring?"
"I ate it."
"What!??!"
"I ate it."
Jesse is trying not to burst out laughing and I'm dumbfounded staring at her.
"Rosalee, where is the second earring?"
"I ate it Mama."
"Rosalee we DON'T eat our earrings! You could get sick sweetheart."
Jesse pipes in, "You might have to go to the doctor now."
Worried that she'll have to go to the doctor she says, "I help you find it" and jumps into her crib from my arms. She digs in her blankets and moves her pillow around but didn't find the earring.
"Rosalee did you really eat your earring?" (I know she already told me she had but I seriously couldn't believe that she'd do something like that.)
"No. Yes. No, I not eat it. It in my belly."
"What!?!"
"It in my belly."
Not sure what to say, Jesse asks, "Did it taste good?"
"No."
"Good, I hope you learned your lesson."
So this morning I called the doctor and they ordered a x-ray for Rosalee. We had a Halloween party at church for the little kids in the morning so I decided to take her to that first. (The damage was done, so why not let her have a little fun before seeing the doctor.) We went, we had fun, and a VERY nice lady volunteered to watch Zeke for me. I'll post the pictures later when I find my camera. (Yet another odd small story from today.)
At the hospital the lady in the admission office insisted that Rosalee wear a partical mask. She said everyone under 18 had to wear one to protect themselves from the swine flu. I rolled my eyes, but tied the thing around Rosalee's neck. Did she put it on her face? No, but she did chew on it a few times.
In the x-ray waiting room Rosalee told three people, "I ate my earring and now I get a picture of my belly". We didn't wait long at all before being taken back to the imaging room. I had Rosalee lie down on the table and she was great! She stayed still and they were able to get the image they needed with only one take. The funny part was the amount of glitter left behind on the pillow...
The technician asked me, "Are we looking for one earring or two?"
"One, why?"
"I only found one and just wanted to make sure we didn't need to keep looking."
She showed me the bright shiny spot on her intestine and said that she should pass it by Friday.
What now?
Jesse and I get to search her poop for the lost earring. NOT because I want to use it again, but to make sure that it comes out.
Rosalee gets to eat a high fiber diet and drink plenty of water until it passes.
We all get to laugh at the random, weird things toddlers do.

1 comments:

Michelle said...

I saw that she had done this on facebook. Only Rosalee!