12 January 2010

Dearest Zekey,

My sweet boy you are now 5 months old and I'm amazed at how you've grown SO much in such a short time. You have almost outgrown your 3-6 month clothing so I've started bringing out some of the 6-9 month clothing. You fall asleep almost immediately if we lie you on your back and pat your back/bum. Then we'll place you in your crib for the night... or at least until you wake up around 2 starving. Your idea of tummy time is having us lie you down and then practically rolling out of our arms onto your back. I find it hilarious that you won't stay on your stomach but I guess that just means your muscles are strong. You love to talk out loud, unless someone is looking at you. As soon as you make eye contact you start smiling and forget all about what you were saying. I've tried giving you a spoon to play with to see if it helps with the cereal... apparently you think spoons are projectiles and are meant to be tossed on the floor. Your stranger anxiety has NOT kicked in AT ALL! You don't care who holds you, looks at you, etc. as long as someone is loving you. This is very helpful for those times I need to pass you to someone to "help" your sister with one of her "toddler moments". Due to you fascination with watching your fingers I've started working with you on ASL. I show you the sign for "milk" and then feed you. For a few days now you'll look at me, sign "milk", and proceed to fuss until I come and feed you. But sometimes you confuse me because you'll sign "milk" when you just want your pacifier. I can only assume that to you "milk" means "stick something in my mouth to make me happy".

Sadly you have your first cold so you've done a lot of sleeping over the past few days. Surprisingly you haven't been that fussy though. You still smile, laugh, and love to be snuggled despite not being able to breath that well and coughing like an 80 year old smoker. You do want to be held more than usual but honestly I don't mind! We've found that the best thing for you is to take you into the bathroom when we're showering. After breathing in the steam you usually shoot snot all over and then are a happy, less gross baby for several hours.

You LOVE to laugh! You have a very unique laugh that I'm trying to capture on video but for some reason Mommy isn't as funny from behind a camera...

You LOVE to have people look at you. Faces and finger fascinate you. I've found you, several times, awake from a nap just staring at your fingers lying quietly in the crib.

We love you!

2 comments:

Sook said...

Aw, he is so cute! I can't believe he's already five months old now. It feels like you just had him a week ago! :)

Unknown said...

Your kids are so cute, guys! I can't believe it's been so long since I've seen y'all. 5, 6 years now? We are due for an encounter soon! You move back west when we come to the midwest. Bad coincidence I guess. It's good to know that you guys are doing well!
We send our love!
Hans