17 June 2008

Constipation is a blessing

Yes you did read the title correctly... Last night we took Rosalee to the ER because she's been having blood in her poop and only pooping a small, rock like, amount once a day. We also took her in because her temperature was 101.5 and not getting better. (By the time we arrived it was at 102.8) So what we thought was going to be a blockage, some flu bug, or the doctor telling us we're feeding her too much bananas turned into pneumonia! The whole time the doctor kept asking if she's been coughing lately and I found that weird since we went in for a poop issue. I said that she's been coughing a little, occasionally has a gunked up nose, and the last two days woke up with goo in her eyes. For about a week the humidity, and therefore pollen/pollution count, has been very high so we thought it was a seasonal thing. WRONG! Rosalee had a chest x-ray done that showed early signs of pneumonia developing in her lungs. The x-ray was a nightmare to get because Rosalee was pinned in a machine with her arms straight above her head. She was so scared and kept crying and screaming. After a few other tests the doctor informed us that she is eating less and sleeping more because she is sick. This, plus feeding her food with bananas, has caused her pooping to decrease and a bit of constipation. The main concern though is the developing pneumonia in her lungs. The doctor wasn't able to tell if it is bacterial for sure so Rosalee is now on Amoxocillan just in case. If she isn't showing signs of getting better in 48 hours we need to take her back to the doctor. So if goes to show that you never know when an annoying symptom may unearth a potentially dangerous one!

4 comments:

crystal said...

Scary! I'm glad that you caught it early though, I hope everything turns out good.

Sarah said...

I hope Rosalee gets better soon! Glad you caught it in time!

Cali said...

A while back they thought Katelyn had pneumonia too, but since I was pregnant I had to help get her in the contraption and leave. It was aweful! Either way, that is just not a nice thing for kids. I am glad they caught it early though. I hope the meds work!

Michele said...

Poor Rosalee! I hope she gets feeling better. It's never fun having a sick child, especially when it is pneumonia. Remember Jacob had pneumonia and he was in the hospital for 5 days! I'm glad you caught it early. Oh by the way we might be changing when we are in Idaho. We might be there during the 4th of July. I'll let you know when I'm positive.