06 February 2008

Tornados, tongues, and trying times

Last night we had terrible weather here in Indiana, and most of the midwest. Thankfully we were not in the way of the tornados, but we did have heavy rainfall. Now the river that divides West Lafayette from Lafayette is close to spilling over. On top of that one of the local dams is close to capacity so we're on flood watch for the next few days. The scary thing about having tornados and severe storms this early is that is doesn't mean storm season will end sooner; it means that storm season will just last longer and have stronger storms. :( Yippeeeeee! So if we come knocking on your door in May you'll know why!


Today Rosalee turned 3 months old. On all of her month markers I take some pictures of her close up so when she turns one year old I can fill my 0-12 month photo frame. Lately her two favorite things are playing with her tongue and rolling from her stomach to her back. Sometimes when she rolls over she gets stuck on her side, but she doesn't seem to mind. In fact she usually ends up laughing at herself. Today I was able to capture a picture of her doing just that.






The sad part about this week is that Rosalee is sick and not getting better. The good thing is that she isn't getting worse though. Jesse and I both have busy work/school schedules so it's hard for us to be home with her. It KILLS me to have to send her to the daycare when she's sick. I know that all she's going to do is cry all day and get the other children sick. Thankfully on Monday Jesse was able to skip most of his classes to be with her and then I was able to work a 1/2 day yesterday. Today was a teacher inservice day so I took Rosalee with me to work and then brought her home early.
It's so sad to see her so sick and miserable. Even though she's sick she doesn't cry or scream as much as I would expect. Mostly she just makes little fussy sounds and weezes while tears roll down her cheek. She isn't able to eat and sleep properly because of how stuffy her nose is. The only way we can get her to sleep is if we hold her upright in our arms against our chest or prop her up in the boppy pillow. The below picture is of her sleeping in my arms, somewhat upright, in our new recliner. I just hope she gets better soon! Since she's so young all we can do is give her Tylenol for a fever, use a bulb sucker to clean out her nose, and wait hopefully for her body to heal.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry Rosalee's so sick. :( Have you tried Saline drops in her nose? I use them with Jack and it has helped him out. We just got them at Walmart or Walgreens or something. It's unmedicated, and it just helps loosen thin out the mucus from their nose and sinuses. The nice thing is you can use it as often as you need to too. Sorry if you already know this, but the nurse at the hospital when we took him in was the first to tell us about it, so...

jeremyand jessicapotter said...

she is having too much fun rolling over. she is adorable poor thing to have to be sick for so long.

Cali said...

Hey, This is Cali Cook. Yes I remember you. Those were some fun paryies that jeremy threw. I have actually been watching you blog thanks to Jeremy and Jess's link. Your little one is really cute! I hope she gets better soon. Like one of the comments said above, nose drops work wonders. THey hate to have them put in, but they feel better and sleep much better afterwords. We use the one called "Little Noses." With katelyn when she was little we would put it in about five minutes before we fed her and then let it sit and suck it out so she could eat and not feel like she was sufficating. We would do the same at night, and add a little extra after we sucked her out so it would work farther in the nose. I hope this helps! I know how hard it can be!

Anna said...

Happy 3 months Rosalee! Sorry that you have to be sick on your 3 month birthday. It sounds exactly like what Braden had a couple of weeks ago, only it was combined with a wet hacking cough that he would gag on and vomit all over the place. No fun. It is so sad to see these little ones get sick. It's rough being born in the winter. Good thing she has such wonderful parents like you and Jesse to make her comfortable. Good luck. I hope she gets over it soon.

Michele said...

I can't get over how cute she is. Even when she is sick she still looks good! So my sister in law just told me about how to get the cough away during the night so that you don't wake up coughing in the middle of the night. This works for infants, children, and adults! You are going to die laughing but it works! I've tried it on Ryan. Okay get the Vicks VapoRub and rub a little coating on your feet! It totally works! I don't know if Rosalee is coughing but the next time she is, try it. Ryan has been sick for 4 weeks now and is just bearly getting over it. I finally took him to the doctor last week because the cough and congestion was not getting any better. Turned out he had that plus an ear infection and fever. It was keeping Ryan from getting over his cold. I forgot that you were going back to work. How long do you plan on working for? Sorry this ended up being so long, I should have just emailed you. Oh well.

Michele said...

Oh one more thing! My brother and sister in law are moving to Avon, IN in the next few weeks. Is that anywhere close to you guys? Maybe we will be able to come out and see you guys soon.

lindsey said...

thanks for calling! it was great talking to you! I hope Rosalee feels better soon! ...and stay away from the scary storms!