19 May 2010

Zeke is 9 months old!

I spent the last week in WA with my parents, family, and friends. I was set on sitting down and uploading all of my cute picture with hilarious commentary but then my computer decided to spaz out on me! The program that I use to upload, and edit, all of my pictures is being weird and freezing. Until I figure it out I'll just make a quick post about Zeke turning 9 months old.


This is Zeke "crawling" at my mom's house

Yes, he is upside down using his feet to push up and his head to maintain balance
We went to Zeke's doctor appointment yesterday and everything is going great! We were concerned (not really, just curious) about his "crawling". Zeke still moves around upside down using his feet and his head. Occasionally he'll stop and pose like this (See the above pictures) and we wondered if it is going to hurt his neck at all. I asked the nurse and she looked confused so I put Zeke on the ground to show her what I meant. When he took off her jaw HIT THE GROUND! She said she had never seen it before but would ask the doctor about. In came the doctor who watched my son in amazement. Instead of saying, "Oh yeah, it's totally normal, I see it all the time," he went to go get the other doctors so they could see it too. 5 adults stared in awe at the world's youngest gymnast moving around the clinic floor. (I put a blanket down first because I can't imagine what kind of fun things would be lurking on a doctor office floor!) None of them had ever seen a baby do that before. The physician's assistant was shocked and claims that in 15-20 years he'll see Zeke competing for the gold in the Olympics as a gymnast. They all agreed that if it were hurting him, he'd just stop doing it. One doctor said that Zeke has a "real gift" and if we "foster it appropriately" could lead him to being a very successful gymnast, yoga teacher, wrestler, circus person... (Okay, I added the last one in.) The doctor asked me to bring Zeke back in one month so he can do a physical evaluation on him. Crawling helps to build coordination and cross lateralization of the brain. (Yeah me for having a degree in Early Childhood Education!) The doctor honestly isn't concerned, he just wants to make sure all the bases are covered.
So Zeke is healthy and just a little extra special!
He is also 18 1/2 pounds (20th percentile), has a head that is off the chart because it's that big- 19" (just like his sister!), and is 29 1/2" tall (85th percentile).
He refuses to eat baby food in the jar, unless he's really hungry. He'd much rather eat big people food or drink milk. He is still being breastfed and always informs me of when he's thirsty. This usually includes, but is not limited to, the smacking of his lips, pulling at the front of my shirt, leaning into a cradled/nursing position, and signing "milk" at me.
He has two teeth and loves to chew, chew, chew!
He loves toys, he usually goes for the dog's toys, but anything that squeaks, lights up, or beeps is a guaranteed favorite!
He is happy almost all of the time. When he's excited he makes all kinds of squeaks and squeals and has earned the name of Squeaky Zekey.

1 comments:

Michele said...

That is hilarious! You have talented children.